Tuesday, January 6, 2009

BenPom at Dad's home

Since Lili was still in California I tried to entertain the kids as much as I could. Since they've spent most of their time with Lili, I saw this as an opportunity to bond with them personally. Fortunately, I found that Pom Pom has a deep love for bags, so I let her play with one of my more spacious tote bags.
It's too bad that Pom Pom didn't get along so well with one of my roomates. I found this out when I woke at 3:00 am to the sound of a loud crash. I look out into the hallway and I saw Ben Ben just sitting calmly in the middle of the hall in front of the closet. Since she's the skittish cat, she would be hiding if anything remotely bad happened, so I go right back to sleep. Later I'm woken again by the sound of desperate meowing. I look in the hall again and Ben Ben is still right there staring at the closet. "What are you doing Ben Ben?" I asked her. Then I noticed the scratches on the door, and I heard the desperate meowing coming from within.
"Pom Pom!" I exclaimed, and tried to push the door open. It wouldn't budge! We keep lots of stuff in that closet, but we always make sure to leave space for the door to open. Pom Pom was clearly in a panicked state, so I said soothing words to her as I pushed the door with all my weight. Eventually I found that whatever was blocking the door was pushing the bottom, so I throw all my weight at the top, trying to make an opening. After several minutes of pushing I open a crack low enough to Pom Pom to claw her way through. Of course she immediately rushed under the bed where she is comforted by Ben Ben.
Squeezing my head through the narrow opening I see that the ironing board had fallen and was the perfect length to brace the door from the back wall. It turns out that one of my roommates was doing laundry last night and somehow managed to trap Pom Pom in the closet, while simultaneously bracing the door from the inside.

No comments: